We have been making this mix in our house for well over a decade. It is simple and quick to make and always delicious. This pancake and waffle mix make you dream about breakfast all day long. Our mix will deliver fluffy and tender pancakes or a thinner pancake, if you prefer. We aim to please every type of pancake lover. The waffles are crisp and golden on the outside and soft on the inside. Both of these will become a breakfast staples in your house. The mix makes approximately a dozen (12) 4" wide pancakes and approximately seven (7) 7" round waffles in a standard waffle iron. Both are Free From gluten, dairy, soy, egg, peanut, tree nuts (except coconut) and refined sugar. A vegan option with instructions are below. Both freeze well (if any are left!).
Alternative Ingredient Options
- Milk: Any type of milk will work, but it will change the overall consistency. We prefer using unsweetened coconut milk beverage (not coconut cream) for the pancakes specifically. We prefer unsweetened plain rice milk for the waffles as it makes them crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. Unsweetened coconut milk beverage works as well, but the waffles will be soft on the outside and inside. Whatever your preference is, go for it! Other milks will work as well, those two are just our favorites. Feel free to experiment with other milks and let us know how it goes!
- Our favorite egg white substitution for pancakes and waffles alike is aquafaba (garbanzo bean/chickpea water). Use 3 Tablespoons of aquafaba per egg. For this mix, it would require 6 Tablespoons of aquafaba for the pancakes and 9 Tablespoons for the waffles. This is actually our preferred way of making these pancakes and waffles even though we can eat egg whites.
- A powdered egg replacer works well for both the pancakes and waffles. Follow the directions on the package for two (2) eggs for the pancakes and three (3) for the waffles.
- Butter: Real melted dairy butter will work in this recipe as well if you can have dairy. If you need a butter substitute altogether, any type of light tasting oil will work though pancakes and waffles will not “brown” as well and the buttery flavor will be missing. They will still taste amazing though!
- Lemon Juice: Any acidic liquid can substitute for lemon juice. White vinegar and apple cider vinegar both work.
- Non-Stick Spray: Use a non-stick spray for your waffle iron. *Avocado oil/spray does NOT work for non-stick*.
- Make the final product more smooth: Leaving the mix sit, with all the liquid ingredients incorporated on the counter for up to 20 minutes helps to soften the flours. The most simple way to do this is to make the mix, set it on the counter while you prepare your warming pan or waffle iron, heat up your maple syrup, and set the table. By the time you have done those, the mix is ready to go. If you choose to wait and let the mix sit, you may need to add more milk as the mix will thicken over time. Simply add enough to your preferred consistency. While letting the mix sit is not necessary, it does deliver an even more smoother mix, if you have the time. If not, mix away and cook.
- Electric mixer not required: You don’t need to use an electric mixer to make the pancakes and waffles. A whisk and bowl work fine, we recommend using an electric mixer to speed up the process. It just depends how quickly you want to eat your amazing breakfast.
- High Altitude Instructions: You will need to add at least 2 Tablespoons more milk of choice.
- Use a cooling rack before freezing: If you want to freeze them to eat later, placing them on a cooling rack directly after cooking will give the best results. Let the pancakes or waffles cool completely before freezing them. This will help them not stick together.
- Freezing: Freeze any left overs in an air tight bag or container once fully cooled.