What is one thing that you have missed due to food restrictions that you never thought you would have again? One of those for us was funnel cake. Going to the Fair and safely eating anything seemed impossible, much less funnel cake. Eating funnel cake at the Fair was one of my favorite memories growing up. It's so yummy, crisp on the outside, soft in the middle, sprinkled with the perfect amount of powdered sugar. Mmmm, makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
If you can't eat your favorite foods out, there are times when you just have to make it yourself. Funnel cake is one of those items for us. We don't trust any booth or trailer at the Fair to feed us safely. Hopefully one day that will change, but for now, we do it ourselves. We are bringing home this fan favorite for you. The best part is, it’s Top 9 Allergen free (except coconut sugar) and refined sugar free. We are excited to share this fun, delicious, and simple recipe with you. It is our goal to bring you as many of your favorite foods that you can't seem to find anywhere else.
2 ½ Cups Milk of Choice
½ Cup egg whites, 6 Tablespoons Aquafaba*, or powdered egg replacer for 2 eggs
6 Tablespoons Vegan butter melted
2 teaspoons Lemon juice
- Prepare pan for frying with an inch deep oil of choice to 375°F. Canola oil is our choice for frying but you may choose your favorite oil for frying. Just be sure you know the smoking point of your oil to be sure it can cook at 375°F. We use an electric skillet so we can easily manage the temperature, but a pan on the stove will work too. Used oil is best for frying, or throw a small piece of bread in your fresh oil once it gets hot to test the temperature and dirty up the oil a bit. Use a quick read thermometer to be sure your temperature is correct throughout the cooling process.
- Prepare a piping bag with a #12 Wilton piping tip, cutting the end off the piping bag just enough for the tip to stick out. If you do not have piping bags or a piping tip, this can be done with a ziplock bag. You will want to cut a small hole approximately ¼ “ wide.
- While your oil is heating up, pour the Rustic Scoop™ Pancake and Waffle Mix into a bowl of an electric mixer. Add all of the liquid ingredients slowly and mix on medium speed until well combined and smooth. *Aquafaba is the water from a can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans, it’s a great egg replacer here. You can certainly mix with just a bowl and whisk though you want to be sure the batter is smooth.
- To fry your funnel cake, make an outer circle about 6” in diameter then make overlapping designs in the middle of your circle. The batter must overlap each other or there won’t be enough structure to flip or eat the funnel cake well. Cook each side for approximately 1 minute or until golden brown. Place cooked funnel cake on a cooling rack with paper towel to absorb excess oil. Repeat until all funnel cakes are made.
- Sprinkle funnel cake with powdered sugar, whip cream, fruit of choice, drizzle with caramel or chocolate sauce, or anything else that suits your fancy. There are no rules to eating funnel cake except you must enjoy every bite!
- Our funnel cake freezes really well. Just lay flat in an airtight container or freezer safe bag. To reheat, bake on 350°F until warm on the inside and crisp on the outside.
Makes approximately 7- 8, 6” funnel cakes.
We always love to see your creations, so please send them our way. :)